Monday, October 08, 2007

The wool has been pulled again....

OK, I used to work at Kohl's back in the day. I was always amazed at the amount of sales pitches they came up with to get people in to shop their store. "Grand Opening Celebration", "One Day Sale", "The Big One", "Early Bird/Night Owl Specials".....all we did was change around the sale prices every few weeks. Sometimes the "big sale" price was actually more than last week's ad. I always felt a little sorry for the customers who would come rushing in for the big event.

Usually I try to remind myself of this ploy when I shop out there. I try to refrain from snatching up a "good deal" unless I really need it--it will usually be on sale again, often for cheaper. But unfortunately last week, I was sucked into their sale vortex.:-)

My friend works out there, and I was returning some items during the night owl sale when she came by. She informed me that it was "friends and family weekend" and I could have one of her 15% off coupons. I was planning on shopping anyways, so I took it happily and set off to shop. I bought more than I should have, but got some good deals. (And of course--I got 15% off!!!) I returned home, relatively happy with my purchases and glad that I had saved a little.

Then, about 3 days later, what do I receive in the mail??? A 30% off coupon from Kohl's!!! Once again, I have been tricked.....maybe someday I will learn. *Sigh*

7 comments:

Donette said...

Sarah - I completely understand! I have to repeatedly tell myself that if it is only 15%-30% off, wait 2 weeks and it will be 40%-50%! The problem arises when I wait until I REALLY need something to shop and then I am stuck with whatever deal they are offering that day.

Whenever our family gets together, we joke that the ladies should run to Kohl's because they are having "a huge sale!" And wouldn't you know it, they are having that sale, without fail, EVERY time we get together! ;)

Complain as I do, but I still always check to see what Kohl's has before I try another store. And when I was at Boston Store a few weeks ago, my thought was "You've got to be kidding me! $98 for a sweater? I'm going to Kohl's!"

Anonymous said...

I love your fall picture below.

We went to Kohl's recently and I bought my 10-year-old son some sweat pants at 50% off. I usually shop the clearance racks, but then stuff is usually picked over by then.

Some stores let you get the price difference if you bring the receipt back within 30 days. I'm not sure if Kohl's does.

Sarah said...

Donette, I do find good deals at Kohl's--don't get me wrong! :-) I am just very uptight about using every good deal available, and this time it didn't work out how I would have liked. :-) My mother-in-law always finds good deals at Boston Store. She shops the clearance and finds good stuff all the time. I never go there, so I don't know.....
Morning Rose, thanks--I love that picture too. It reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. I should check into whether they give you the price difference at Kohls. Probably not since they have so many sales! :-)
See you on Thursday, by the way!

SturgillMom said...

Sarah, I laughed so hard when I read that post. You crack me up! I totally agree about the Kohls thing. People have to be absolutely foolish to pay full price EVER at Kohls.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, we'll see you tomorrow! Hopefully the weather will be nice. We may have to bundle up. :)

gone forever said...

well sarah...now you just have to go out and use that 30% coupon too!! lol...then you got 2 good deals =P. haha...that's probably what I'd do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for meeting us at the park today, Sarah! It was great to catch up with you and your 3 E's. I posted some pictures on my blog. :)