Thursday, June 12, 2008

Clean up on aisle....well, the whole house really

Here at Toddler World (despite what Daddy would say), we keep a relatively clean house. I say "relatively" because we have the occasional piles sitting around, the usual crumbs under the baby's highchair and--at times--dress-up clothes completely covering any walking space in the basement. But I hate dirty counters and bathrooms and honestly love to vacuum and like to have order in the general living areas--so the Toddler house would appear clean if you walked in and gave it a quick glance.

The problem lies in the fact that I have been doing all of the clean-up myself. Now, Mr. PacMan will occasionally step in and vacuum....usually when company or his mother is coming over.....but he is willing to help out--that is the important thing. Mario (the oldest) will often kick into OCD mode and fly around her room or the basement, putting everything in its place. (Or rather, in the places she feels they should be. OCD.) But the majority of the housework has been done by me.

That has changed.

I have a dear friend who just happens to be a professional organizer, and she shined some light into the dark recesses of my brain. She always has great tips or thought-provoking articles on her blog--check it out if you get a chance--but awhile back she posted about the importance of getting your children involved in housework. I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Duh, leader of the ToddlerWorld! Of course your children should be helping with chores!" I know, I know.....I am well aware of introducing your children to responsibility, etc. I have just been too lazy to implement their help.
But like I mentioned before, that has changed. Last week, encouraged by Paula's tips, I made up a big-time chore chart. I broke all of my weekly household chores into days, and drew up a chart--complete with daily chores for my children.

And let me tell ya---it is working FABULOUSLY! I feel so "together" and peaceful as I go about my household duties, knowing that I have one whole day to complete each one. And the girls LOVE helping out. As soon as I tell them what cleaning chore it is for that day, they rush to help out. I do not know why I did not think of this sooner. (Well, actually I do know why:
1) laziness
2) procrastination
3) density of the brain and
4)previously the age of my children, which is the only legitimate reason.)

Here is the finished result...... and no, I did not take art in college. So be quiet!

It is working so well, I am a little frightened.
What is the next area I will competently organize? Toddler World may never be the same with this power......

5 comments:

sara said...

Looks great to me!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the chore chart! I had to start a chart when we started homeschooling four years ago. Today the boys and I cleaned their bathroom together. I did the toilet while the boys cleaned the sink and tub. It was great to have help and saved me a lot of cleaning time.

Anonymous said...

can your kids come scrub MY tub? I HATE scrubbing the tub...

Sarah said...

I hate it too, Kaje. That is why I have employed my children. :-) Elise also folds socks now (which is one of my top dreaded tasks!)

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Sara,

You make me smile.