Friday, January 07, 2011

Blessed be Your name, even when......

Josh has been sick most of the week, along with Little E. And that means.....lots of laundry, lots of cleaning, lots of liquids, not much sleep......but by Thursday, I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Then that night, Middle E came down with the same thing.

*sigh*

Everyone was in a bad mood today, and it seemed like I could not get ahead on anything because of all the laundry and cleaning I was doing. I began to feel a bit sorry for myself.....

But God brought these verses to mind, as I was cleaning up the kitchen and muttering internally.

{2 Cor. 4:17--For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison.}

{James 1:2-4--Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.}

I was immediately convicted, knowing that God always has a sovereign purpose for everything that happens in my life, even if just to teach me patience and contentment.

But then, as if those Scripture passages were not enough to "put me in my place", I was catching up on my favorite blogs tonight and ran across this post (and the ones that followed.) It breaks my heart and puts me to shame that I was complaining about having to clean up after my sick little family! God is so good to me and I have nothing to complain about.....my trials are NOTHING compared to those of others around me.

I leave you with the lyrics to the song "Blessed Be Your Name".....
Every time we sing this song in church, it brings tears to my eyes as I wonder, 'Would I actually respond this way if bad things came into my life?' I hope I would, but I am humble enough to know it would probably not be a natural response.

Blessed be your name in the land that is plentiful
Where your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name
And blessed be your name when I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name when the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering
When there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

*Lyrics by Matt and Beth Redman*



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah you are such a blessing! That last school week before Christmas break when all 5 of my family members got the flu back to back it was so tough. Thank you for this amazing post. You are a blessing. I will pray everyone is well so I can see you on Sunday.
Love you!
Holly C.

Unknown said...

wow- what a sad story about the fire. Oh my goodness. We are so blessed and even if God takes all our comforts and even our family away, we are still blessed because we have Christ and no one can take that treasure away from us!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing Sarah! I can feel sorry for myself some days too, thinking "I just cleaned this house yesterday and you cant tell!"
It's my job, it is what God has given me this season of my life...and i really do love it. Your post is a nice reminder to keep our focus on Christ....and WHY we do what we do!
It is interesting, because yesterday Owen was singing "Blessed be Your name" all day yesterday, we were even watching it on youtube again....i love that he knows how to sing the song because he will burst out singing it when i need to hear it most sometimes :)
love you sis,
Leo